Visualising your science with smart devices
1-day Workshop outline
This is a sample outline only. We tailor each workshop to meet the needs of clients.
2 presenters will facilitate the workshop.
We have adapted this workshop to run online in shorter sessions over several days, please contact us for details.
Understand how to use your smart device to shoot quality video and photographs
Develop some skills and confidence in editing your videos and photographs
Understand how to use videos and photographs to promote your science online
We email each workshop participant asking them to bring along a short video clip and some photos to use during the workshop.
We give you a feedback sheet to fill out at the end of workshop. We collate the results (we don’t edit them) and return them to the commissioning organisation.
We assess your learning on an individual basis throughout the workshop and give both oral and written feedback.
We give you individual feedback as you practise the skills in the workshop. We also provide individual feedback forms.
Introduction, outline and purpose of workshop
- Benefits of visual communication to your science communication
- The characteristics of a good video and a good photo
Introduction to video editing
- Using your video editing software
- Tips for simple editing
- Exercise 1: Do a simple edit of a video clip
Tips on shooting video with your smart devices
- Framing your shot
- Lighting your scenes
- Moving your smart camera (or not)
- Recording interviews
- Exercise 2: Plan and shoot vision for a group video
Editing your video
- Extra tips on editing your video
- Adding and adjusting the sound
- Overlaying video and images
- Exercise 3: Upload and edit your video footage
Taking photographs using your smart devices
- Making the most of lighting
- Composing your photograph
- Focusing for best effect
- Changing your perspective
- Exercise 4: Take 5 different shots
Editing your photographs
- Using software like Pixlr
- What to do or not in editing
- Exercise 5: Edit your photos
Sharing your video and photographs
- Tools for sharing
- Exercise 6: Load up your photos/video online
Evaluation of workshop