Good science deserves a good communication plan, and good communication takes careful planning.
What do you want to say about the science and why do you want to say it?
What is the best method of providing information to the target groups you want to reach?
This practical and lively 1-day workshop takes you through a 7-step process of planning your communication.
Designed for science communicators and scientists, the workshop program includes case studies, discussion, presentations and planning exercises.
By the end of the day, you will have an outline communication plan for your project.
The 7-step process is a comprehensive approach to communication. It covers target groups, messages, delivery and evaluation, and ends with an action plan to translate the day’s work into a workable program.
We survey all participants in advance so that we can make sure that the workshop is highly relevant and tailored to suit the requirements of your organisation and participants.
As part of the workshop, a panel of people who are typical of the people you might want to communicate with (e.g. journalists, research funders, members of the general public, industry representatives) offer insights into what methods work best with them. This is invaluable input into a communication plan.
The workshop is based on our 25 years experience in communicating science.
It will help you to:
- understand the principles of effective communication
- learn how to plan communication
- develop and practice key communication skills
- develop a practical communication strategy that you can easily put into action
- When should you communicate about a research project?
- With whom should you communicate?
- What do your target groups want from communication?
- How do you choose the most effective communication activities?
- How can you monitor and evaluate communication?
- How can you overcome some of the barriers to effective communication?
- What’s the best way to develop and implement an action plan?
Comprehensive notes are provided.
Cost: 1-day workshop
We run our workshops all across Australia.
Workshops are normally run on a request-only basis.
Prices are fully inclusive of all costs, regardless of location.
We ask that your organisation arrange the venue and catering, and participant numbers.
We are happy to negotiate price for adapted workshop content/procedures.
Discounts can be negotiated if more than one workshop is run at the same location.
Contact us to discuss your needs.
On confirmation of your booking for a 1-day workshop, you will need to pay a deposit of:
- $2000 (+ GST) for an organisation or
- $200 (+ GST) for an individual
Should you cancel the workshop, we will refund your deposit, minus an administration fee of 10% of the total workshop cost.
If we have already incurred non-refundable costs, for example for flights and accommodation, we will also deduct these costs from your deposit.