This face-to-face, intensive hands-on workshop will help you communicate your messages quickly and effectively using social media and Web 2.0 tools. We can provide the workshop over 1 or 2 days or integrate a session in one of our other workshops such as Talking Science with the Media or Planning your Science Communication.
Who will benefit from this workshop?
Scientists and communicators with basic social media skills who want to use social media more strategically and professionally.
We will design the workshop to meet the needs of the workshop participants.
Workshop participants can choose to learn how to:
- develop a communication strategy for incorporating social media into existing communication activities
- create an online profile to make sure you have a consistent identity across all your social media and Web 2.0 accounts
- identify the various forms of blogging you can use to present research materials and outcomes, while understanding the advantages and risks of blogging
- set up a blog and create engaging content
- make a video to present your research online – create, edit and upload to the web
- create images and illustrations to present your research online – create, edit and upload to web
- interact with people online, encourage and manage conversation, and engage with audiences
- use Facebook as a professional to present your research, and monitor and measure audience engagement
- set up a Twitter account
- use Twitter as a professional to present, discuss and promote your research, and learn how to monitor and measure audience engagement while understanding the advantages and risks of tweeting
- use LinkedIn and ResearchGate to grow your professional network and to collaborate
- use SlideShare as a professional to present your research, and to reach and engage more people with more impact
- use QR codes and social media with your posters and presentations to reach and engage more people with more impact
- create audio to complement your slideshows and present your research on the web
- bring it all together, using multiple social media tools to engage different audiences during events such as conferences, lectures, presentations, public engagement activities.
During the workshop, you will create content based on your own research, which you can use after the workshop. The content will be created in a private blog space and on social media platforms.
You will receive individual feedback on your work during the workshop and afterwards.
You may access the workshop blog for 2 months after the workshop so that you may continue to practise creating content and make the most of the extra learning resources we have made available.
Cost: 1-day workshop
We run our workshops all across Australia, and internationally, on a request only basis.
Contact us to discuss your needs.
On confirmation of your booking, you will need to pay a deposit of $2000 (+ GST).
Should you cancel the workshop, we will refund your deposit, minus an administration fee of 10% of the total workshop cost.
If we have already incurred non-refundable costs, for example for flights and accommodation, we will also deduct these costs from your deposit.