Date published: 23 July 2015
Closing date: 6pm, 31 July 2015
We (Econnect Communication Pty Ltd) are a small team of science communicators helping scientists to communicate science to people who are not scientists. We work on national and international projects and in diverse fields but usually related to the environment or agriculture. We enjoy the challenge of our clients’ tight deadlines and budgets.
Sometimes it’s chaotic and demanding, but we like working with each other and enjoy a laugh. We’re stimulated by creative ideas, and the idea of making a positive difference to people’s lives and the environment in which we live. We are focused at all times on delivering quality services and products to our clients to help them meet their goals.
We are seeking a full-time experienced and enthusiastic science communicator to join our team for an initial 12-month period to cover a maternity-leave position (this may be extended).
You will be someone who is expert at setting up and managing websites, using social media, liaising with diverse groups of people, and knowing what journalists need to make a story work in mainstream media.
You will liaise with scientists, government representatives, community representatives, farmers, and industry. You will be required to travel to regional areas of Australia, and potentially internationally. Ideally, you will also have experience in training adults in professional development settings.
The right person for this job
You will be confident that you can meet a variety of challenges that come your way, even if your idea of what the day would bring changes a lot. You will feel comfortable working in a commercial consultancy environment, achieving quality outcomes that fit client budgets and schedules. You will share our passion in communicating about science, especially in the fields of environment, climate and agriculture.
The wrong person for the this job
Do not apply if you:
- need routine and stability
- thrive on organisational politics
- lack a sense of humour
- don’t like to travel
- hate to talk to people on the phone
- want to be left alone to do your own thing
- can’t juggle at least three things at a time.
- Skills in web development and content management
- Skills with using traditional media, new media and digital technology to communicate science
- Excellent writing skills in a variety of formats for print and online media
- High-level oral skills in presenting, liaising with clients and interviewing people
- Passion and experience in communicating about science
- Ability to work comfortably in a small team, independently and with initiative
- Desire to continually improve through feedback and constructive criticism
- Ability to plan and manage projects to meet agreed outcomes, deadlines and budgets.
- Skills (or the ability to quickly gain such skills) in training adults, especially scientists, in communication skills
- Editing skills and experience
- An understanding of scientific culture and processes from experience working with researchers
Location: West End, Brisbane. This location is not negotiable.
Terms: Start as soon as possible; contract to 31 August 2016, with the possibility of extension beyond this depending on performance and work demand; three-month probationary period.
- $80-90,000 p.a. depending on experience, plus superannuation
- 38 hours/week
- Pro-rata 4 weeks annual leave, 10 days sick pay
- Time off in lieu able to be accrued to a maximum of 40 hours at any one time for any overtime.
- To Jenni Metcalfe via email only (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Close 6pm, Friday 31 July
- Resumé – two pages maximum, addressing the essential and desirable selection criteria. Please also provide your contact details, the names and contact details of two recent work referees, and your availability to start work with us. You may also include a short CV.
- Short-listed applicants will be advised on Wednesday 5 August of a pre-interview exercise they need to complete by 6pm Sunday 9 August. Applicants on the final list will be interviewed on Tuesday/Thursday 11/13 August in our Brisbane office or via Skype.
If you have more specific queries, please email Jenni Metcalfe (don’t phone).